Did you know that you can upload documents and other files from you computer to Google Docs? Sometimes you have a file on your computer that you would like to share with others. You can either send them an email, creating multiple copies of the same file, 🙁 or you can upload it to Google Docs and share it with them.
To manually upload a file from your computer to Google Docs
- In your Documents List, click the Upload button and select Files… from the drop-down menu.
If you’d like to upload a file directly to a collection, click the collection name in your Documents List before clicking the Upload button. Note: you must have the latest version of Flash installed if you’re working in Internet Explorer.
- Select the file you’d like to upload to Google Docs. To select multiple files, press Shift or Ctrl and click all the files to upload.
3. A new dialogue box will appear titled Upload Settings. The two settings in this box include:
- Convert documents, presentations, spreadsheets and drawings to the corresponding Google Docs format. (Recommended)
- Select this option to convert all of your files from their existing format, into an editable online version in Google Docs. If you don’t select this option, this document will appear as a view-only document in the Google Docs Viewer.
- Convert text from PDF or image files to Google Docs documents.
- Select this option to convert image files into a collaborative online version in Google Docs by using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology
4. By default the newly uploaded document will be private. Once it is uploaded you can share it just as you would any other Google Doc.