When sharing documents or Google Sites with others within and outside AEA267, it would be great to have a “group” already made up in your contact list that is personal to you. For example, in my contact list I have a group for the Literacy Team that is made up of AEA267 staff and I also have a group called Instructional Technology Coaches that is made up of AEA267 staff and educators outside of AEA267. Having these groups made up in my contact list makes it easier to share those GoogleDocs and Google Sites quickly and easily without worrying about forgetting someone. Google contacts provides two different types of contacts
- Directory Contacts, which are contacts shared by all users in AEA267 (you cannot edit directory contacts)
- Personal Contacts, which are a user’s contacts not shared with other users (you can edit personal contacts)
To access your contacts within your AEA267 GoogleApps account, visit this link: http://www.google.com/contacts/
If you would like to include contacts that are outside of AEA267, follow this process:
- Export your contacts from your Email application on your computer
- Import these contacts into My Contacts on GoogleApps
- Make your groups
- Assign contacts to the groups by searching (choosing those AEA267 staff that are part of the AEA267 directory).
- Optional, you can delete those contacts that are duplicates in the directory and in your personal contacts by deleting them from your personal contacts.
If you are using Microsoft Outlook for your Email
- In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
- Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
- Click Microsoft Excel, and then click Next.
- In the folder list, click the Contacts folder, and then click Next.
- Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as an Excel file (.xls).
- Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
- Click Next.
- To add or remove fields to determine the way the contact information is saved in the new Excel worksheet, click Map Custom Fields.
If you are using Entourage for you Email
- In Entourage, on the File menu, click Export.
- Click Contacts to a list (tab-delimited text)
- Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a Text File (.txt)
- Click Save
Once you exported your contacts into a file, you can now import them into your AEA267 Google Contacts. Log into your AEA267 GoogleApps account and click on the following link: http://www.google.com/contacts/
- Once in your contacts, in the upper right hand corner, click on Import
- Click on Choose File
- Browse to the folder where you have saved the file.
- Click on open.
3. Search for the desired contact in the search bar across the top.
4. Check the box next to the contact (if the contact shows up in both My Contacts and AEA267 Directory choose the contact from the AEA267 Directory).
5. Click on Groups on the right hand window and a drop box with your groups will appear. From there you can Add to.. or Remove from…