Student-Centered Classrooms

One of the attributes of  student-centered classrooms is The Construction of Learning…specifically when learners “rethink and reshape prior ideas”.  Those adult learners that I work with bring a wide variety of ideas and experiences (just as their students do).  My job is to honor their experiences, knowledge and skills by providing opportunities to make connections to previous knowledge in order to construct their own learning.  E.g. Asking them to write for the purposes of extending and deepening their knowledge.

I am excited about the Collaborative Learning attribute in Student-Centered Learning.  I am lucky enough to have a tremendous group of colleagues (both in and out of AEA267) who make the term “together we learn more” more than just a saying.  Together, we have gain a deep understanding about Vocabulary, Writing to Learn, the Gradual Release of Responsibility Model, Effective Technology Integration, Adult Learning, Copyright, and of course lately..GOOGLE!  My list is huge and ever expanding.  Without the opportunity to collaboratively learn together, each of us asking questions and seeking a deep understanding, I couldn’t say that I am an expert in much.  As I continue to expand my group of collaborators (some I know well, others I only know in name) to beyond our AEA267 walls, I find myself relying upon technology tools such as RSS feeds, Skype, and Twitter to replicate those same discussion that get to a deep understanding.

One Comment

1. Belinda Blackburn wrote:

Kay
    I really identify with what you say about our own learning! It is so important to make the necessary connections with new information and be able to know it well enough to share with our own colleagues and those we are teaching. I love the learning. And I get anxious when I try to stay just one step ahead of those I’m teaching. That is why the Web 2.0 training is so informative…and anxiety producing.

Friday, November 5, 2010 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.