Nashua-Plainfield Middle School

Think about the content that we worked with today…

1. What are you most comfortable with? Share you understandings regarding this content.
2. What are you most confused about?  Describe what you are confused about.
3. What support do you need to be successful in implementing something that you learned from today?

9 Comments

1. Melanie Johanningmeier wrote:

I am most comfortable using read-alouds with the teaching of some lessons. I love to use books when I do lessons on Martin Luther King, Jr. (Martin’s Big Words) and (Follow the Drinking Gourd). Both are great ways to incorporate literature and music.

I am most confused about ways to incorporate vocabulary into my lessons. Music terminology is often difficult for students.

It would be great to use some of these examples to incorporate vocabulary into my lessons.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink
  2. Sara Kreb wrote:

1.I feel that I have a good grasp of the concepts and content that we discussed.
    2. I feel that time constraints is the biggest obstacle at this point. Though literacy is a 60 minute block of time I feel like I never get through everything I would like to.
    3. I have come up with several ideas at this point. I would like to do a read aloud, but don’t think I will have time as I plan to do SSR (We have been doing this often.) However, I plan to add a vocabulary section to this so that students will get the opportunity to share vocabulary that they do not know.
    Amanda said she may do a read aloud in LA though, which would work out PERFECTLY!

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink
  3. Shelley Lehman wrote:

This is the first year that I have taught reading in 8 years. I am finding it FUN! It is enjoyable to read with the kids and explain concepts. I am dismayed at the level that they can put their thoughts into complete sentences. They want to short-cut everything. Half of the group is good at contextual comprehension and the other half is clueless. Makes for a tough one-size-fits-all lesson. All of these vocabulary ideas that you shared with us look new and inviting. I will need TIME (something in short supply with two teenagers) to digest and figure out what to use. The quizlets and on-line aspects for reviewing seem doable. Thanks!

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink
  4. Lori Lee wrote:

1. I liked the resources that you provided for us. That way I have some places to go and get some help.
    2. My confusion was where to look for books to use with my students but you helped answer that question with the AEA website and how to locate those. It will take some time and practice to see/use these resources.
    3. Support, well, the idea of talking with other teachers and then practicing the ideas. Thanks for sharing your resources with us.

5. Jenn wrote:

1. I like the idea of read alouds. This was helpful to know how and when to use them. I was under the impression that we needed to “read” the whole book. It is nice to see that we don’t have to read the whole book, but can use parts of the book instead. I think a lot of teachers already do this, just didn’t know all the proper “steps”

2. It will take some time to figure out how to develop “vocab” work. I wouldn’t say that I am confused….just more time is needed in this area.

3. Thank you for the resources! They will be very helpful as I look at this and decide how to implement it.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:24 am | Permalink
  6. Steve Karels wrote:

1. A ton of great material. Some I already incorporate, others I would like to try.

2. Time, time, time, time. When it comes to computers, I’m not the quickest.

3. Thank you for some great ideas. I’m looking forward to incorporating the book In Defense of Liberty into my classroom.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink
  7. Amanda Huling wrote:

1. Now that I have seen read alouds in a middle school context I feel much more comfortable implementing them. I had previously only seen them in an elementary setting but it’s nice now to see that you don’t have to read an entire book. I can see how I could use them in my Language Arts and Science classrooms. If the kids see me using books more frequently (other than textbooks) maybe they’ll be more apt to read more.

2. I don’t think anything really “confused” me today. I just don’t feel really comfortable with vocabulary strategies and how not to bore students when they are introduced to new words.

3. I would like to know some more vocabulary strategies – I really appreciate all the technology you incorporated into your presentation – It’s hard knowing what’s out there and it will be fun to see kids use it.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink
  8. LeAnn Baldwin wrote:

1. I am most comfortable with read-alouds. I really enjoy reading aloud.

2.I am most confused about finding books. You have helped and I need to explore.

3. I will plan to use the information you gave us today and also ask others for help.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink
  9. Mark Wilson wrote:

1.I am probably most comfortable with read alouds. I love reading material out loud to the class.

2. I would have to say finding the right non-fiction material to connect with what I’m teaching. Another thing is using the right right graphic organizers that works with the curriculum.

3. I would also like to find time to really explore the websites you gave us. I did use the quizlet for a study guide that I started during the inservice and the kids love it! They are writing it down to study with over the weekend. Thanks for your time!

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.